People have been weighing the pros and cons of Current TV's twitter-fueled agency search. Cons seems to center around the chaos of it all, the over-publicity and the limits of 140 characters.
The pros are more interesting to me. As my friend Leah put it, they're using Twitter as quality control. Agencies who respond have to:
1) Be using the medium - not just talking about it
2) Be nimble - slow and steady need not apply
3) Be experimental - no set of best practices here
4) Be hungry - willing to dive in head first
5) Be transparent - it's out there
Most importantly, the process matches up the DNA of the brand with the DNA of the agency. Definitely not the right way to go for everyone, but this seems like a pretty natural fit. And isn't a pitch all about finding the right fit anyhow?